Saturday, January 19, 2013

Cleaning the Sewing Room

Well, I did a little sewing on Thursday and Friday.  I made a Burda  06-2009-109 batwing top  that I had seen on another blog.  But what was I thinking!  I made it at least 2 sizes too big and I had taken a lot out of the "wings."  I know I could take in the side seams and take more out of the "wings" but the neck was soooooo big.  It reminded me of the Flash Dance sweatshirts of the 80's.  Good enough to wear to wash the car I guess and it was an experiment!  I actually like the look of the pattern so I will re-trace it in a smaller size and tweak it somemore.

Also made myself some pajamas.  I used  McCall's 2476 for the pj bottoms.  I have used that pattern to make them at least a dozen times.  I like them because they sit at the waist and the legs are full and comfy.  I used the top view A from McCall's 4979 and it was huge in the neck.  I see why they show it open like a jacket on the model. In spite of the fit of the top, they are cute.  I used some Tinkerbell purple flannel from Fabric.com.  Sorry no picture!

I decided it might be time to remeasure myself and sure enough, I should be using a size 14 through the neck and shoulders based on my high bust instead of the 16 I've been using.  Of course the rest of my post-menopausal body still needs a bigger size.  And I will need to do a bigger FBA.

Oh well...live and learn.

Plus, I have been finding it hard to want to sew because my sewing room (the house out back) looks like something from the TV show Hoarders.  So today I spent about 4 hours trying to get it workable.  (It was sad when I wanted to use my coverstich machine on Thursday and couldn't get to it.)  I will still need to spend more time getting notions organized and to file some patterns in the bankers boxes I use to store them in numerical order by company.  I need to rethink this system because it's not really working for me.  But that will have to wait.  I do think I need a bookcase for my sewing books that are currently in the main house but don't know where it would go until I make some changes.  Do I really need a mini-refrigerator in my sewing room? 

Maybe there will be pictures in my next post!!

More soon!

Blessings!

No comments: