Tuesday, December 2, 2008

About me

Because I have enjoyed blogs by others interested in sewing, I thought I would start one of my own.

Here is some info on me. In 2007 I moved back to where I grew up after spending over 30 years in the Dallas/Fort Worth area. Have to admit that I miss the craziness of the big city. The pace of life here is so laid back in comparison. I think that part of what makes for a happy life is being content where you are. So, although I miss my friends, job and church in big "D", I am happy. Moving was the right thing to do at this point in my life.

I am divorced with no children so being close to family has become important to me. To support my fabric and sewing machine addiction I work as a Guest Relations Manager in the hospitality industry.

So far, this doesn't have anything to do with sewing, does it?

Well here goes...I made my first garment at age 8. It was a simple gathered skirt. I had bugged my mom until she let me use her machine, a Pfaff 130 that I still have. She just sat back and watched, giving advise only when solicited. When it was finished, it didn't look too bad on the outside but on the inside...oy! I remember I wore it with pride!

My skills did improve and I made most of my clothes when I was in high school and college.

Fast forward...sewed off and on my entire adult life. Less so after my divorce when I had a job that required traveling a great deal of the time. I did a little quilting back in those days. But now I am back to garment sewing and having fun with it. However, fitting is a much bigger challenge than it used to be!

I love to take a flat, formless piece of fabric and see it evolve into a three dimensional garment.

I have several nieces who want to learn to sew. So, lessons have begun. I am so glad. At one point it looked like sewing might become a lost art in a few generations. I credit shows like Project Runway with generating a renewed interest in garment sewing.

More later...

No comments: